Get to work in a complex IT environment, be the key to enable your colleagues having fun with applied science in the field of computational chemistry!
We have pioneered and become the world-leader of organic Crystal Structure Prediction (CSP). Our pharma customers and staff from all around the world are now committed to the next generation of software tools for in silico drug development. Support us to make it happen!
The position is full time, permanent. As a German and English speaking Team you work in close collaboration with Hubert Koeppen, our in-house IT and with an external consultant. You report to Dr. Marcus Neumann, the Science and IT Director and to Elsa Gheziel M.A., the HR, Communication and Administration Director. Starting date: asap from 11.2021.
You play a key role in managing and maintaining a tailor-made diverse IT Environment designed for security and efficiency, including:
• high performance computing on thousands of cores
• an heterogeneous, though well-structured network
• infrastructure monitoring at several sites
• an open-source virtualization platform for all office servers,
• a rich range of business and scientific applications both on-prem and in the cloud
• physical infrastructures such as air-conditioning, alarm systems
Avant-garde Materials Simulation has successfully competed in the last three CSP blind tests and are pioneering other areas of predictive materials modelling. We rapidly deploy new technology to leading pharmaceutical companies.
We put the principles of sustainable development into practice and offer an industrial working environment with an academic touch. We are a multi-cultural team that develops software for a global market.
Our offices are located in Freiburg (Merzhausen), Germany, on the border of the Black Forest. The city has a rich student life with a variety of places to unwind after work. The residential areas offer green, calm neighborhoods that are ideal for healthy lifestyles and families with children. Close to France and Switzerland, the Black Forest is one of Germany’s most touristic regions known for the beauty of its lakes and landscapes. In the wintertime the region offers good opportunities for alpine and cross-country skiing.
• Install and configure software and hardware (desktops, printers, servers, network devices, …)
• Care for technical, but not computer-orientated devices, like cooling or lighting systems, alarm systems, smartphones, ….
• Develop and maintain local networks in ways that optimize performance
• Set up accounts and workstations
• Ensure security through access controls, backups and firewalls
• Provide orientation and guidance to users on how to operate new software and computer equipment
• Organize and schedule upgrades and maintenance without deterring others from completing their work
• Monitor performance and maintain systems according to requirements
• Perform troubleshooting to diagnose and resolve problems (repair or replace parts, debugging etc.)
• Maintain records/logs of repairs and fixes and maintenance schedules
• Extend our internal wiki with technical documentation, manuals and IT policies
• Support the HR Director on the fly to up-date the corporate website
• Identify computer or network equipment shortages and place orders
• You are committed to reduce the environmental footprint of our infrastructure and care about Ethics in Business
• Strong ability to (re)set priorities in close collaboration with management
• Loyalty and team spirit: serving a common purpose and empowering your colleagues is more important to you than playing power games to expand your area of influence
• Dialog-oriented: strong ability to communicate and cooperate with staff members who are not experts in your field (no jargon please)
• To support people you first take the perspective of the user and ensure you really understand their need
• Creativity and initiative when standard solutions have failed
• You feel confident to openly report difficulties and errors whenever needed.
• Intercultural awareness: our teams come from all over the world. Your working style adapts to different mentalities and cultural contexts.
• No specific degree required
• Linux system administration
• Networking, routing and switching
• Best practices around management, control, and monitoring of server infrastructure
• Firewalls, Internet VPN’s remote implementation, troubleshooting and problem resolution
• Scripting languages like Bash, Python and Ruby
• Setting up and configuring of workstation, server, printer, network hardware
• Backup and recovery software and methodologies
• Up-date and maintenance of corporate website and wiki documentation
We are a small family business with short communication paths. The impact of your work is immediately visible and directly supports other team members. We aim to provide a professional environment in which people from all over the world at different stages of their lives can find the work-life balance that suits them. Because we care about our employees, our customers’ needs, scientific progress and the planet, working at AMS does have a meaning.
• Flexible work time management around core hours
• Part-time work for some of the positions
• Training for job specific topics as well as to grow your own potential
• yearly: 25 days paid leave + about 10 days public holidays
• Equal opportunity policy
• Help with settling in if you are located outside Germany
Avant-garde Materials Simulation GmbH is an equal opportunities recruiter: your application is welcome regardless of your age, gender, ethnic origin, disabilities or religion/beliefs.
• What matters most to us, beyond your skills and experience, is your mindset. Sharing common values is the basis for a diverse happy Team! Tell us more about your philosophy at work and your soft skills in the cover letter, to be addressed to M.A. Elsa Gheziel-Neumann.
• Please fill in our Application Form, do not send us a pdf via Email : we take security very seriously and never open attachments from unknown sources.
• We will first collect applications, and give you a feed-back via Email.
• Upon successful completion of some hard and soft-skills tests, you will be invited to a remote interview and finally to Freiburg for a series of interviews and tests with AMS Management and the IT Department.
• All positions remain open until the best match.