Avant-garde Materials Simulation is the world-leading provider of software for organic Crystal Structure Prediction (CSP). We have successfully competed in the last three CSP blind tests and are pioneering other areas of predictive materials modelling. We rapidly deploy new technology to leading pharmaceutical companies.
We put the principles of sustainable development into practice and offer an industrial working environment with an academic touch. We are a multi-cultural team that develops software for a global market.
Our offices are located in Freiburg (Merzhausen), Germany, on the border of the Black Forest. The city has a rich student life with a variety of places to unwind after work. The residential areas offer green, calm neighborhoods that are ideal for healthy lifestyles and families with children.
Close to France and Switzerland, the Black Forest is one of Germany´s most touristic regions known for the beauty of its lakes and landscapes. In the wintertime the region offers good opportunities for alpine and cross-country skiing.
The position is part or full time and permanent. You will report to Dr. Marcus Neumann, the Science and IT Director and to Elsa Gheziel M.A., the Human Resources and Communication Director on specific projects.
By designing, creating and managing a secure and efficient IT environment, you play a key role in enabling AMS´staff to focus on the development of novel approaches in molecular modelling.
You are responsible for managing, maintaining and developing all aspects of IT infrastructure like desktop clients, server and network and support the Scientific Software Developers to manage the Linux cluster and the Cloud Computing. In close collaboration with our part-time System Administrator, part-time Scientific Software Developer, you develop, review and adjust our security policy and ensure its application. You provide security training and technical support to other staff members. You perform regular backups and software updates. You manage our web site in close collaboration with our Communication Director. You interface with our suppliers of technical services (air-conditioning, electricity, telecom, alarm system, etc).
• You are used to work with and administrate GNU/Linux and Mac OSX
• You can identify and analyse weaknesses (structural / security), suggest remedies and take action
• You are used to monitor possible threats and vulnerabilities on an ongoing basis and keep up with current security topics
• You do not need to be a penetration tester yourself, but you are familiar with their mindset
• You are fluent in written and spoken English
• You are fluent in written and spoken German
• You have experience with groupware services like email, file server, database
• You have some experience with script languages like bash, PHP or Python
• SQL, HTML and CSS are not unknown to you
• Experience in programming with C++ would be a plus
• No specific degree required
• You are committed to reduce the environmental footprint of our infrastructure
• Strong ability to (re)set priorities in close collaboration with management
• Dialog-oriented: strong ability to communicate and cooperate with staff members who are not experts in your field (no jargon please)
• To support people you first take the perspective of the user and ensure you really understand their need
• Creativity and initiative when standard solutions have failed
• You feel confident to openly report difficulties and errors whenever needed. Even to customers!
• Analyse and find solutions for technical issues reported by colleagues is what you really like to do
We are a small family business with short communication paths. The impact of your work is immediately visible and directly supports other team members. We aim to provide a professional environment in which people from all over the world at different stages of their lives can find the work-life balance that suits them. Because we care about our employees, our customers´needs, scientific progress and the planet, working at AMS does have a meaning.
• Flexible work time management around core hours
• Part-time work for some of the positions
• Training for job specific topics as well as to grow your own potential
• yearly: 25 days paid leave + about 10 days public holidays
• Equal opportunity policy
• Help with settling in
Avant-garde Materials Simulation GmbH is an equal opportunities recruiter: your application is welcome regardless of your ethnic origin, gender, disabilities, religion/beliefs, sexual orientation or age.
• What matters most to us, beyond your skills and experience, is your mindset. Sharing common values is the basis for a happy Team! Tell us more about your philosophy at work and your soft skills in the cover letter, to be addressed to our Head of Human Resources and Communication, M.A. Elsa Gheziel-Neumann.
• Please fill in our Application Form, do not send us an Email with attached pdf: we take security very seriously and never open attachments from unknown sources.
• We will first collect applications, and give you a feed-back until the end of March via Email.
• Upon successful completion of a Skype interview and some hard-skills tests, you will be invited to Freiburg for a series of interviews and tests with AMS Management.
• The position will remain open until the ideal candidate is found.